Thursday, April 17, 2008

Organizing my time and home!

You know life is soooooo much easier when your life in organized, at least for the most part. Of course there are always surprises in your day from time to time. I am learning the importance of organization though.

Today I got half of the boys books for the next school year. I was more excited than they were! LOL You can always tell a homeschooling mom when you see a lady get excited over finding a good price on school books. I paid about half or less for each book that I bought. I am definatly going to meet the budget by half! That really makes me happy, but it makes my hubby happy as well. And you know a happy hubby makes a happy wife!

Going back to school books, I have found that it's really not worth it for me to copy workbooks. There was a suggestion made to me one time that if you copied the workbook the next year you wouldn't have to buy one. But the trouble with that is, by the time you make all those copies either with your own copier or with the Office Depot/Staples one you've spent 20.00 and you might as well spend 16.00 the next year for a new worktext. So I've stopped doing that. I use Bob Jones which works very well with my children and I just buy new worktexts and keep the other books for the next year.

I never thought I would homeschool. I thought this was for the birds. When my husband asked me to marry him shortly after he told me that he wanted me to homeschool. Can you believe I honestly almost called it off because of that? I DID NOT under any circumstances think that I could teach my kids. But you know I'm glad I stayed with him...not only is he a wonderful, caring, thoughtful man, but he was very wise to want them homeschooled.

I was asked recently why I homeschool. Well, I could say a lot of different reasons. Like, schools are not what they used to be; I want to be able to teach my kids with a certain standard that I don't see in the school system here; or even that they are focusing more on social "tolerance" in the schools than academics. But really, even though those things might be true, they are not the reason. I want to be able to share with my kids the things that I find are most important to them growing up to be responsible, caring, God-fearing, adults. Adults that I know will make wise decision because they are trusting God to teach them what to do and plan their lives. I want them to be able to make a difference out there and feel the confidence that they can do all things through Christ which strengthens them. These things the world can't give them. God has called parents to teach their children the statutes of God. It is my responsibility and yours! Not only is it our responsibility but our right as parents! God has called me to homeschool. Just as he has called my husband to preach the Word of God. Nothing is going to stop me unless God wills it. Sometimes I feel inadequate, sometimes I'm downright nervous that I'm not doing a good job. But then, one of my children come to me and say something so smart. Or someone comes to me and tells me that my children are sooooooo smart. That makes me swell inside. Not a bad pride, like my kid is better than yours type of mentality. But it gives me confidence to know that I am doing a good job. Just like parenting, not all decision we make are going to be the best thing. But if we take that lesson learned and use it to our advantage....it will help us in the long run. So teach your children with confidence. Know that God has called you to do this. He will equip those he calls!

Jenn

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice blog, Jennifer! Thanks for inviting us to have a look see! :D